This standard covers electrical energy storage assemblies (EESAs) such as battery packs and combination battery
pack-electrochemical capacitor assemblies and the subassembly/modules that make up these assemblies for use in
light electric-powered vehicles (LEVs) as defined in this standard.
This standard does not evaluate the performance or reliability of these devices.
This standard does not include requirements for the evaluation of EESAs intended for use in electric vehicles, such as
on-road passenger vehicles intended for use on public roadways including highways and heavy duty off road vehicles
such as battery powered ride-on industrial trucks, which are covered under the Standard for Batteries for Use in Electric
Vehicles, UL 2580/ULC-S2580.
This standard does not include requirements for evaluation of EESAs intended for use in light electric rail (LER)
applications, which are covered under the Standard for Batteries for Use in Stationary, Vehicle Auxiliary Power and
Light Electric Rail (LER) Applications, UL 1973.
This new edition incorporates the following changes in requirements:
- Correction of Cell Criteria and Tolerance Information.
- Vibration Endurance Test Revisions;
- Revision of marking and instruction requirements for EESAs that are not removed when charging;
- Addition of Production Quality Control Criteria in 17.4;
- Clarifications to the functional safety criteria; and
- Clarification of connections to battery cells.